Skip to content

Black Weasels & Farside Cartoons

Appalachian Trail, September 28, 2013

About an hour after falling asleep last night, the “Farside” cartoon showed up.   Deer repeatedly charged my tent, blowing and stomping.  I had this vision of them lined up and taking turns, with smug grins on their deer faces.   They repeated their antics for hours.  At one point I sat up and screamed obscenities at them, before fumbling around for my earplugs.

I was up early the next morning, and the sunrise from Harmon Hill was fantastic.   I hiked down a side trail to get some good pictures.  I usually get up before the sun rises, so I often try to camp near the tops of peaks or ridges so I can catch the sunrises.  It is often a little dryer, and sometimes warmer, if I camp a little above the settling air.

As I continued on into the morning, I left “Vermud” and entered “Massquitoe.”   I sighed as I dropped in elevation and received my first bites in weeks.  I was sure the fall temperatures would have chased off the critters, but I was wrong.  I was also surprised by the rocks, and even had to rock pick down a short NH rock slide.  The difference in the MA rocks was that they had these crazy sharp edges on them.  They were a little scary actually, like hiking over angled razor blades, so the hiking was slow and tedious.

I headed for North Adams later in the afternoon, and just outside of town I paused to watch two black weasel like animals come running down the trail towards me.  They were not squirrels.   I really don’t know what they were but watched them chase each other through the woods…maybe minks?

The road walk, as I headed through the suburbs for my next mountain, was tough on my feet, but it went by quickly.   I relaxed my pace through the neighborhoods, saying hi to those out in their yards.   A few people offered me water, but I declined.  I was not thirsty, and definitely did not want to carry any more water than I needed.  I usually just “camel up” as I hit springs or creeks, and don’t actually carry much water.  This is one of the benefits of the Appalachian Trail – water sources are fairly frequent.

As I headed through the streets, I looked up to see a rather large mountain in front of me. Reaching the other side of town, I pulled out my profile map and saw it was Mt. Greylock, the highest mountain in MA.   I sighed in frustration.  I had not checked my maps for the day.  I usually study my hike for the day, since large climbs are largely mental.  I like to anticipate and obsess over the climb for hours before reaching it.  By the time I arrive, it has grown in epic proportions, and is far less of the challenge my imagination made it out to be.

I climbed about three miles before starting to look for a campsite.  There was nothing within site of the trail, so I headed off trail until I found a small shelf about 100 yards down from the trail.  I had wanted to make it closer to the top, but there appeared to be camping restrictions, which I thought I may have already been within, so I tucked in behind a large log, and settled in for the evening.  I was excited, as I believed I had read there was a breakfast joint up top.  My stomach would be getting me up early.

Hi. Average Hiker purchased this product and does not write sponsored posts or receive compensation for reviews. Some of the links in this post are affiliate links which means that when you click on one of these links, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Also, as an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If this review has been helpful, I appreciate you considering your purchase through one of the product links. Thank you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.