Home » Blog » TRAILS » Section Hikes » Chef BoyArDee

Chef BoyArDee

Near Wingdale NY on AT
Hi! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that when you click on one of these links, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Also, as an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you.

Appalachian Trail – October 9, 2013

I slept hard, not remembering waking up even once.  It was the kind of sleep where you wake up with a numb limb, and drool caked to the side of your face, and onto your pillow, or in my case my jacket.  I slept in about a half hour later than usual, rising slowly from the fog of that rare, perfect sleep.

Even with the late start, the mornings hike still started early, and I began slowly, letting the stiffness of the night before slowly seep from my muscles.  Grades were nice and moderate, with some lazy hills rolling through wood and field.  I saw few people, and found myself chatting with the cattle as I ambled through their pastures.  They stared back at me with their expressionless bovine faces…maybe a few slight expressions of interest, very slight.

Late in the morning, I arrived at the road into Wingdale, NY.  I knew it was not legal to hitch in NY, and as the day progressed, I began to understand why it should probably be avoided in that area.

I was picked up about ten minutes after putting out my thumb, across the road from Native Landscapes.  I had noticed a brick oven pizza stand across the road, and to the right of the landscaping business, but using incredible will power, I did not sprint across the road towards the food.  I wanted to resupply quickly and get out of town.  Fall had arrived, and I was still in New York state.  Georgia was a long way south, and I wanted to finish this trail before Christmas.

Ten minutes after sticking my thumb out, a Town Car pulled over.  I peered in the window and Richie grinned back at me, asking me where I needed to go.  As we chatted, he said he had never heard of the Appalachian Trail, and then proceeded to ask me if I was just hitching around the country.  I tried to explain that the Appalachian Trail ran up the eastern part of the country from Georgia to Maine, but I had trouble getting in a single word around his ramblings, and finally just threw in the white flag, and agreed I was just wandering around the US.

Five minutes into the ride, Richie was on topic thirteen.  This included his requirements for finding a good bride, and how he could not locate one.  Unfortunately, this appeared to be the topic of most interest for him.  I managed to change the topic briefly to hunting, and based on the contents of his back seat, I hoped this might distract him from bridal discussions, but on the marriage topic he was pretty focused.  Thankfully, the ride to town was quick, and by the time he had managed to steer the conversation back to brides yet again, we were at the small market listed in my town guide.  I thankeed Richie for the ride, grabbed my pack, and quickly exited the car, pretending not to hear him ask me if I needed a ride back.

I pushed through the glass doors of the small market, and paused to stare down the aisles.  The market was rather eclectic with one of every type of grocery item, some which appeared to have been on the shelves for years.  It was just a step away from an old mercantile store.   Unfortunately, there were not many supplies that were conducive to a no cook diet, so I began scanning the shelves for semi-cooked, canned goods. My pack was going to be HEAVY!

I perked up as I spotted a deli counter, beyond a small seating area, but as I walked towards the counter, there appeared to be no contents behind the glass.  I was surprised to see a man behind the counter, and asked him if there was hot food available.  He nodded a confirmation as he peered suspiciously at my pack.  Apparently, hikers were not common in his world.   I looked up at the limited menu behind the man, and asked for a cheeseburger.  He announced “We are out” and just stood staring at me.  I then worked my way through about three more requests, with the same response.  I finally, just looked at him and said “What exactly do you have?”  “We have a Chicken Parm sandwich and French fries” he said.  I was not picky.  “I’ll take the largest of both”  I responded.   He nodded and turned to walk through a door behind him.

I found a small table towards the front of the store, and dropped my pack on top of it.  I wanted to put it where I could watch it while I shopped.  I headed towards the grocery aisles, where I purchased about 30 pounds of canned goods, and then went back to figure out how to cram them into my backpack.  I would work for my food, but I would eat well.

Arriving at the table, I found my sandwich, and the best fries I think I’ve ever had, waiting on me.  I sat down to eat and watch CNN, the only thing playing on the television, and unfortunately no remote to provide me some relief.  A man wandered over with a bottle of tea, and asked if he could sit with me.  I quickly realized he was the owner.  He was very interested in my hike, and had not owned the store long.   We started with the standard “Where are you going?” questions, and then steered towards the “What do hikers want?” questions.  I also explained the guides and how I had found his store.

I was there for about an hour, before saying my goodbyes, and heading back out to hitch a ride back to the trail head.   Eyeing the busy intersection, I decided to walk past the intersection before attempting to hitch a ride.  Over the next 15 minutes, I had an empty can thrown at me, and a father in a mini-van with his family, to include small children, make ugly gestures at me.  I was rather shocked and decided to forego hitching and just start walking.   I would just walk back the three miles.   It seemed safer.  Five minutes later I cringed as a I heard a car pull up behind me.  I vowed never to hitch in NY again.  I glanced back to see a yellow taxi van slow to a stop behind me.  The female driver asked where I was going, and offered to give me a ride for $7 bucks.  I was thrilled!  It was a short ride, but well worth the seven dollars required.

Once arriving at the trail head, I headed over a bog, and a small mountain, before beginning a steep hike up from the next road crossing, with my canned goods and full belly.  I was still a little rattled by my hitching experience, but as I headed back down the other side of the mountain, I met two section hikers coming up.  They were from Alabama, and really nice guys that were interested in my hike.  It was fun chatting with them for a few minutes, and reconnecting with some pleasant, like minded people.  They reminded me of why I enjoyed these hikes.

I hiked on until dusk, found a nice place in the woods, and tucked in for the night.   I had begun day dreaming about my cans of Chef BoyArDee about an hour earlier, and sighed in pleasure as I gulped down my first ravioli.  I had not eaten like this since I was a kid, and it brought back warm memories of home, long ago.  I knew I would sleep peacefully again.


(Visited 50 times, 1 visits today)

2 thoughts on “Chef BoyArDee”

  1. I seriously love your blog.. Very nice colors & theme.

    Did you make this site yourself? Please reply
    back as I’m looking to create my own personal website and
    would like to know where you got this from or exactly what the theme is called.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *