Skip to content

Colorful Hikers and New Skin

Appalachian Trail – September 4, 2013

I chose to stay in Lyme another day.  My feet were so sore I could barely squeeze them into my oversized Crocs.   Yesterday’s hike had rubbed the abrasions even more raw, and I needed at least a day to allow them to heal over, for some type of skin to begin forming.  Ms. M had also offered to take me over to Hanover, NH, to the CVS pharmacy, so I could get the bandages I needed, and about three more tubes of Neosporin.  Neosporin was kind of like Duct tape.  Duct tape was applied to all broken gear, and Neosporin was smeared on all broken skin.

As we pulled up to the pharmacy, I noted a hiker leaning against the brick wall, just past the sliding doors to the store.   I walked towards the doors, and paused to briefly speak with her before heading into the store.   I was fairly sure she was a thru-hiker, but not certain, as there was also a certain “Vagabondish” look to her.   She appeared to be in her mid to late sixties, and was wearing a purple skirt, turquoise t-shirt, and had a red bandanna wrapped around her head.  I glanced at her and did a double take, startled to see large swollen lumps on one of her arms, and her leg.  She appeared to have been bitten, and her arm and leg were noticeably swollen.  They had to be painful, but as we chatted, she mentioned them casually, and then brushed them aside, as if they were minor mosquito bites.

Inside, I found everything I needed, and headed back out of the pharmacy, where I saw the Vagabond hiker still leaning against the wall next to her pack, but now smoking a cigarette.  She asked me if I knew how to get to the Sunset Motel.  I had heard of it, and knew it was somewhere out of town, but told her I did not know how to get to it.   As she took a drag from her cigarette, I noticed her long pink manicured fingernails.   How did she ever maintain those on the trail?!   I wished her well, and headed over to the car where Ms. M was waiting on me.

We got everything situated in the car, and as we pulled away from the CVS, I looked over to see the lone hiker marching up the sidewalk with her pack and poles on her back.  As we pulled away, I watched her and wondered to myself.  Was she really a thru-hiker on the Appalachian Trail, or just a wanderer passing through this area?  Over the years, I’ve met many wanderers that spend a little time on this particular trail.  They are around for a few days or a few weeks, living off the bounty and good graces of the people and towns they counter.  Most of them were harmless, but all of them always seemed to be fractured, or lost souls.

After lunch,  we headed back to Lyme.  I had my clothes hanging out back of the house on a clothes line, and still needed to go to the PO and General store.  Chores were slow when limping around on skinless feet, so I still had some things to do, but I had been eyeballing a hammock in their “Thoreauesque” backyard.  I was itching to grab a NY Times, I had purchased that morning, and crawl into the hammock and wallow in the world for an hour.

On my visit to the pharmacy, I had purchased a bottle of what looked like cement glue, called “New Skin.”  I was going to apply some to the abrasions on my feet, which were in dire need of about any skin replacement I could find.  Many of the abrasions were hard to cover with a bandage, so I was hoping this new cure would take the place of a Band-Aid.   There were a couple of large abrasions that would still get there own Band-Aid and a piece of mole skin to prevent friction, but I would try “New Skin” for the majority of the small spots.   I was disappointed I could not find Leuko tape so was going to try some other brands of “moisture resistant” athletic tape to hold all the bandaging together, but if all else failed, duct tape was an old friend that never let me down.

My final chore of the afternoon was pressure washing my shoes and insoles.  I wanted to make sure I had gotten all of the sand and grit out of them.  I only had another week to go before I would get my new shoes, and the weather was supposed to be nice for the next few days.  I would plan to hike slowly, and lower my mileage until they healed sufficiently.  This would probably mean an extra town stop to lighten my pack weight and get more food, probably in Killington, VT.  As long as I took things slow, and kept my feet relatively dry and gritless, they should have heeled fine.

Someone later asked me for tips to date on my hike.  I provided those below.

Strip and boil all linens in motels and hostels, and wipe down your plastic hut mattress with Purel.  Just about everyone around you probably has a hiking stove, so boiling should not be an issue, although you will need to allow for time to boil a sheet in a 2L pot.

When hiking in wet shoes ensure there is NO grit in your shoes, and that you are wearing clean, gritless socks.  If grit is detected, it is best to check your feet and change your socks immediately.  Assume one skin layer lost, for every hour waited.


Hi. Average Hiker purchased this product and does not write sponsored posts or receive compensation for reviews. Some of the links in this post are affiliate links which means that when you click on one of these links, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Also, as an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If this review has been helpful, I appreciate you considering your purchase through one of the product links. Thank you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.