Voormi River Run Hoodie Review | Average Hiker
Voormi River Run Hoodie
Recently, I decided to get a new “sleeping shirt” for backpacking, and the Voormi Women’s River Run Hoodie was my choice. I loved the look of the hoodie, and the loose, comfortable fit. I also wanted a hoodie with no dangling draw strings, zippers or big buttons since I would be sleeping in it.
In addition to comfort my sleeping shirt is also my “town shirt,” so it needs to repel odor. I often throw it on just before getting into town, so I’m more presentable for hitch hiking and don’t instantly repel those I meet. It also helps if I want to grab some food on my way to wherever I’m staying.
The requirements for this hoodie were simple.
- Wool blend, thin, soft and light weight
- Deep hood
- No zippers, draw strings, big buttons
- Loose so it does not constrict me, as I’m a “tosser” at night
I had been searching for just the right hoodie when an add for Voormi popped up on Facebook.
I had been looking for months, and the River Run Hoodie seemed to check all the boxes, and although I had never heard of “Voormi,” I decided to check them out. The hoodie was pricey @ $129, but my last sleeping shirt had lasted me 10 years, so I was willing to pay for quality.
Benefits of Wool
- Retains Warmth – even when wet, wool retains it’s insulating characteristics and keeps you warm. This hoodie was a good extra layer to have.
- Odor/Stain Resistant – wool is both odor and stain resistant, making it a very good layer for backpacking.
- Repels Moisture – the weave of the fiber makes it naturally water resistant.
- Comfort – while pure wool can be a little scratchy or itchy, if you find a good wool blend layer it is very comfortable for extended use.
Initial Testing of the Women’s Voormi River Run Hoodie
My quality control specialist, and clothing model, tested it out first, and passing that gauntlet, it was my turn to take a spin in the hoodie.
After a day and a half of wear around the house, I was pleased with the light weight hoodie. It met all of my criteria, and was a good looking layer (always a plus).
- Fabric – DUAL SURFACE Blended Wool 52% Wool / 48% Polyester
- Weight – Women’s Medium 5 oz.
- Color – Rose
- Cut – Relaxed
- Woolx – $144
- Icebreaker – $180
- Woolly – $99.99
- Smartwool – $140
Women’s Voormi River Run Hoodie Material
The Women’s Voormi River Run Hoodie is made of a wool blend – 52% wool, and 48% polyester. I hoped this meant the hoodie would not be itchy, and I was correct. I wore this hoodie for 9 days on the Arizona Trail without washing it. The garment was not itchy in the least.
When I arrived at camp at the end of the day, I would immediately put on the hoodie and my Feathered Friends Helios Down Jacket so I had warm, dry clothes. I HATE being cold. I would also sleep in the very comfortable hoodie, and there were a couple of times I hiked in it when the mornings were colder than I had anticipated.
By the 9th day the hoodie had almost NO ODOR. I was pretty impressed with it’s odor resistant performance.
Appearance and Fit
Besides being light weight, the hoodie had a relaxed fit. This is a plus for me when sleeping. I did not want a fitted garment. The rose color was also a solid color I liked. This hoodie offered 4 different colors, unlike a lot of the performance hoodies. The initial relaxed fit also led me to believe the hoodie would have a deep hood, good to layer over hats or beanies.
The hoodie met my expectations. As a matter of fact, the material was a little thinner than I had expected, which made it great for sleeping and warmer desert temperatures. The size I chose was an XL, since I would probably layer it over other shirts. The looser fit made this the perfect choice.
The color is a rose red, just like it’s picture, which is not always the case. I like more natural, slightly muted colors. Finally, and certainly of importance, was the deep hood.
There are a few little extras on the hoodie. Some I like and others I could do without.
- There is a small button above the neck. I like this because I can tighten up the hood when I sleep, or in windy conditions, but it does not choke me.
- Thumb loops – It does not really need these, and I don’t care that much for the elastic material, but if you’re using it for more of a performance hoodie these would be nice to have. They were so small though that I really did not notice them.
- I like the brand name on the front. It is a darker shade of red and subtle. The same goes for the “V” on the back shoulder of the garment.
Women’s Voormi River Run Hoodie Post Hike Thoughts
Prior to taking this hoodie on my Arizona Trail hike, it became my “go-to” hoodie at home. I wore it around the house, to the store, walking, and anywhere that required I throw on a quick comfortable, casual layer. I really liked the lose fit, and it is a good looking hoodie.
The 151 miles hiked on the Arizona Trail did not phase this hoodie. I slept in it every night, hiked in it some mornings, and always wore it if in town. The hoodie never itched and was very comfortable. My favorite thing was how “fresh” it remained. Not only did it not smell, but it resisted my repeated attempts to stain it! Super Hoodie!
I had a few questions about the hoodie when I first purchased it. The layer was lighter than I had anticipated, and I was not sure how well it would hold up under hard hiking conditions. Needless to say though, the garment squashed any doubts pretty fast. I would definitely purchase this hoodie again.
Below are the 3 lowest prices I found at the time I wrote this article.