- Colorado Trail Day 34 – Switchback Fall! | Average Hiker
A fall on some switchbacks, and winter weather ended my 2020 Colorado Trail hike. I’ll wrap it up in 2021!
- Colorado Trail Day 33 – Busy Trail! | Average Hiker
Today was a beautiful day above tree line. I could not have asked for more perfect weather. Other than frustrating shoes, it was fantastic!
- Colorado Trail Day 32 – High Point! | Average Hiker
Day 32 on the Colorado Trail was gorgeous! This was also the day I reached the high point on the trail.
- Colorado Trail Day 31 – Snow Mesa | Average Hiker
Colorado Trail Day 31, and Colorado is still a stunning state. Views across Snow Mesa took my breath away as I settled in for the night.
- Colorado Trail Day 30 – Creede Colorado | Average Hiker
Creede, Colorado is one of my favorite trail towns on the Colorado Trail or CDT, and the new barbecue truck makes it even better!
- Colorado Trail Day 29 – San Luis Saddle | Average Hiker
Today on the Colorado Trail was one of my favorites! The wildlife sightings exceeded my expectations and weather was gorgeous!
- Colorado Trail Day 28 – My Ranch Home | Average Hiker
Colorado Trail Day 28 included hiking in sections 19 & 20. This was beautiful hiking through remote, dry country leading up to San Luis Pass.
- Colorado Trail Day 27 – Cows Everywhere! | Average Hiker
After spending more time around cows, I’m convinced that although not all that bright, they each have their own distinct personality.
- Colorado Trail Day 26 – Razor Creek| Average Hiker
Even cold rainy days are beautiful on the Colorado Trail. Just make sure you have the right gear for COLD rain!
- Colorado Trail Electronics Use | Average Hiker
Colorado Trail Electronics Use was not much different from other trails. This was the longest hike for the Fenix Headlamp, and it did well.
- Colorado Trail Day 25 – Monarch Pass | Average Hiker
Colorado Trail Day 25 included a beautiful hike out of Monarch Pass. Climbing over 3,000 feet over 8.5 miles was moderate and above tree line.
- Colorado Trail Day 24 – Salida’s Bakery | Average Hiker
The Red Hen Bakery in Salida is quite good, and I arrived at sun up to make sure I did not have to wait in line.
- Colorado Trail Day 23 – Cottonwood Pass Beauty | Average Hiker
I now understand why I was advised not to hike to Cottonwood Pass during storms yesterday. It would have been beautiful and dangerous.
- Colorado Trail Day 22 – Mother Nature Rules! | Average Hiker
Hiking from Chalk Creek to Sanford Saddle was gorgeous, but afternoon storms chased me into my shelter early!
- Colorado Trail Day 21 – Ninja Moose! | Average Hiker
Today’s hike between the Arkansas River and Chalk Creek was gorgeous. I got to see “Ninja Moose,” and meet Lynx and Hot Legs!
- Colorado Trail Day 20 – Back in the Saddle! | Average Hiker
After laying up sick for 6 days the hike out of Monarch Pass proved to be pretty tough, but the scenery made it worthwhile!
- Colorado Trail Day 15 – Cottonwood Pass | Average Hiker
Day 15 was a tough day! Hiking while struggling with an angry stomach is not a lot of fun. Top that off with the worst hitch EVER, and I was ready to call it a day.
- Colorado Trail Day 14 – Hope Pass | Average Hiker
Lake Ann Pass was another beautiful Pass with a great campsite at the small lake just before the Pass. Views from the top were incredible!
- Colorado Trail Day 13 – Twin Lakes Resupply | Average Hiker
Twin Lakes was a great resupply town. The Colorado Trail is going through gentrification, and I was able to get an excellent Latte.
- Colorado Trail Day 12 – Twin Lakes Ash!| Average Hiker
The hike on Day 12 was Sam and Shy’s longest day yet @ over 19 miles. It ended with smoke, a large Snag, and a lightning tree.
- Gear Performance on the Colorado Trail! | Average Hiker
I tried some new gear on the Colorado Trail, and used some tried and true favorites. This article provides a review of my primary gear and clothing.
- Colorado Trail Day 11 – Leaving Leadville | Average Hiker
The wildfire smoke was noticeable as we hiked out of Leadville, and the muted skies made for a creepy night at our campsite past Glacier Creek.
- Colorado Trail – Lessons Reaffirmed | Average Hiker
I’m always reminded of simple things when I hike – things I forget.
- Colorado Trail Day 10 – Leadville | Average Hiker
The target for the day was Leadville. It is amazing how town thoughts increase foot speed.
- Colorado Trail Day 9 – Kokomo | Average Hiker
Serle Pass is easily one of my favorite Passes. It has the feel of a high Pass combined with the lush valleys below.
- Colorado Trail Day 8 – Shila! | Average Hiker
The long climb over from Frisco to Copper was not easy, and my tailbone suffered the steep downhill.
- Colorado Trail Days 6 & 7 | Average Hiker
Meeting the Moose family on my way into Frisco was the highlight of my first week on the trail.
- Colorado Trail Day 5 – Fat Bikes! | Average Hiker
The climb over early morning Georgia Pass was gorgeous!
- Colorado Trail Day 4 – Kenosha Pass | Average Hiker
I just missed wildflower season at Kenosha Pass, but it was still a beautiful section of trail – with it’s crazy cows!
- Colorado Trail Day 3 – Six Mile Meadow | Average Hiker
I love Six Mile Meadow. It was the second best part of Day 3. The first best part was my Deer Friend.
- Colorado Trail Day 2 – Fire House | Average Hiker
Day Two on the Colorado Trail provided great water sources and some tough climbs for these green trail legs!
- Colorado Trail – Waterton | Average Hiker
The first day on the Colorado Trail included hikers, Bear, deer, and thunderstorms.
- Hiking the Colorado Trail – Yet Again | Average Hiker
My Colorado Trail Hike is about a week out. I’m finalizing last minutes details, crossing a few t’s and dotting a few i’s as I get ready go.
- Colorado Trail Gear List – Big 3 Changes! | Average Hiker
The Big Three in this Year’s Colorado Trail Gear List have gone through some big changes. Zpacks and Katabatic are both in the lineup for the first time.