- Final Day on the Appalachian Trail | Average Hiker
October 16, 2013 My feet traveled over the trail, but my mind did not register the steps. I had retreated inward, and my mind was… Read More »Final Day on the Appalachian Trail | Average Hiker
- One of Everything….
Appalachian Trail – October 15, 2013 I began tossing and turning before the sky had even begun to lighten up. My hips were sore from… Read More »One of Everything….
- Wawayanda & Rock Gyms
Appalachian Trail – October 14, 2013 The air was still and damp on the Appalachian Trail in NY when I walked out of my room… Read More »Wawayanda & Rock Gyms
- Trail & Zombies
Getting to hang out with family and friends while hiking the Appalachian Trail is an event, and not missing The Walking Dead made it even better!
- Palisades and Worther’s Candies
It was good to be home with family and friends, but the Appalachian Trail was calling me back. Winter was coming quickly, and I could feel the restlessness.
- Water Sources and Bear Mountain
Appalachian Trail – October 11th, 2013 I spent time preparing for rain again last night, and not a single drop fell. I prefer hiking in… Read More »Water Sources and Bear Mountain
- Candy Man – New York State
Appalachian Trail – October 10, 2013 I expected rain last night, so I had found a great leafy spot on high ground to set up camp… Read More »Candy Man – New York State
- Chef BoyArDee
Hiking with canned goods was some heavy hiking.
- Hunting Season
Appalachian Trail – October 8, 2013 I was up bright and early, ready to move, so I packed up quickly and headed down towards the… Read More »Hunting Season
- Cornwall Storm
Appalachian Trail – October 7th, 2013 This morning’s privy was a toilet seat on a box. I really should not have been upset by that… Read More »Cornwall Storm
- Homesickness & Sleeping On a Hill
Appalachian Trail – October 6th, 2013 Today was a tough day, emotionally. The dreary grey, rainy morning did not help to “lift moods” either as… Read More »Homesickness & Sleeping On a Hill
- Salisbury & Maria McCabe
I rarely get up during the night, mostly because I have stiffened inside my sleeping bag, and the thought of first unbending, and then hobbling… Read More »Salisbury & Maria McCabe
- Shay’s Rebellion & Fall Hiking
Appalachian Trail – October 2, 2013 The call of a morning rooster echoed across the hills. It was still dark – pitch, black dark. I… Read More »Shay’s Rebellion & Fall Hiking
- Southbound Misfits in New England
October 1, 2013 Today’s hiking was some of my favorite terrain. I traveled through rolling forests and farming land, traveling along the edges of both… Read More »Southbound Misfits in New England
- Dark Forests & tiny Breakfasts
Big breakfast and creepy trail.
- Mt Greylock & a Gluttonous Grin
Mt. Greylock and hiker towns.
- Black Weasels & Farside Cartoons
Appalachian Trail, September 28, 2013 About an hour after falling asleep last night, the “Farside” cartoon showed up. Deer repeatedly charged my tent, blowing… Read More »Black Weasels & Farside Cartoons
- Goddard Shelter and First Time Hikes
Meeting blog followers and climbing too late.
- Spindly Legged Goats
Fall colors and spindly legged goats
- Sunrise, Vizslas & Manchester Center
Sunrise and Manchester Center, VT
- Cairn Graveyard & Other Large Beings
Eerie cairn graveyard on the Appalachian Trail
- Cold, Raw Day & The Cooper Potty
A cold, raw day in VT
- Road kill, Guinness Stew, & an Inn
Headed to the Inn @ Long Trail
- Trails, Orange Soda & Empty Cabins
Back on the trail after too long a break.
- Hobbits, Infections & Belly Deli’s
ER and the foot…
- Moose Mountain & Broken Feet
O M G….how could something so small hurt so much!
- Colorful Hikers and New Skin
Another day in Lyme, NH
- Small Towns & Stella’s
Lyme, NH epitomized small town values.
- Skinless Toes & Mila the Poodle
My ailing toes….
- Mt. Moosilauke, Punkin & Lightning
No more bugs!
- Bed bugs and the Bates Motel
- Flapjacks, Jimbo & Eliza Brook Shelter
I thought I was going to go nuts listening to the snores, grunts and gurgles!
- Hobbits & the Lightning Ridge Race
Hiking in the lightning with hobbits.
- Wayne from Maine & Galehead Hut
Wayne from Maine was a pleasure to meet.
- Failed Wrist Splint & Nightly Marauders
Cliff faces & failed wrist splint.
- Railways & Hut Children
On the Appalachian Trail, the White Mountains were a highlight!
- Hand Hiking in the White Mountains
Hiking through the White’s with one useable hand was not really an option.
- Boulder Fields & Chilly Dogs
Flashes of crushed face bones flashed through my mind.
- Gondola Rides and Angled Bear Sleep
The descent was brutal!
- Boo Boo & the Wildcats
Flying down Wildcat!
- Broken Poles & Pop-tarts
Appalachian Trail – August 20, 2013 Yesterday in Gorham, NH was a fairly uneventful day. I rented a tiny car and spent the day running errands. … Read More »Broken Poles & Pop-tarts
- A Moose in the Gauntlet!
He was a big, gangly moose.
- Buried in a stinky bog…..
A stinky, smelly bog….
- Losing Sandman & The Mahoosuc Notch
Climbing down the Arm was tough!
- Appalachian Trail, Plums, and Maple Sugar Cookies
Appalachian Trail – August 15, 2013 David took me, Sandman and Dano back to the trail after breakfast. There was a group of NOBO’s that… Read More »Appalachian Trail, Plums, and Maple Sugar Cookies
- Appalachian Trail – Old Blue & the Naked Guy
The metal rungs down the mountain were tough1
- Appalachian Trail – GINORMOUS
A ginormous breakfast to start the day.
- Appalachian Trail – A Drone or a backpack? What Damn Back Pack!
What damn backpack?!
- Appalachian Trail – Meeting Mr Sandman!
Bloody Mr. Sandman!
- Appalachian Trail – Crockers
It was frigid!
- Appalachian Trail – Stratton, ME
The White Wolf Inn was the perfect small town motel, with food and rest in one establishment.
- Horn Pond Shelter
Avery Peak had beautiful views!
- Campsite Search
Another camp site off the beaten path.
- Appalachian Trail – Kennebec River
Loon calls @ 4AM
- Appalachian Trail – River Crossing
The trail was completely different south of US 15.
- My First Town
Light seeped into the trees, and as I peered out from under the edge of the tarp, I could see the trees just beginning to… Read More »My First Town
- Wilson Falls
Appalachian Trail – August 3, 2013 Climbing straight up a mountain first thing in the morning is so unfair! I started my climb up Barren… Read More »Wilson Falls
- Crazy Fall In Maine | Average Hiker
This day was to be a tough day, filled with spills, pills, and sharp, craggy hills. It started raining steadily around mid-night, and continued until… Read More »Crazy Fall In Maine | Average Hiker
- White Cap & A Dalmation
An iron Dalmatian had been chained to a tree as I started my climb up White Cap.
- Antlers & Whoopee Pies
My favorite thing about White House Landing was the Whoopee Pies!
- White House Landing
White House Landing on the AT was dominated by association with cheeseburgers.
- 100 Mile Wilderness
Future Visitors to site 17 in the Katahdin campground should reconsider reserving this site. I failed to note the privy nearby, or rather maybe I… Read More »100 Mile Wilderness
- Katahdin – A Hard but Beautiful Start | Average Hiker
July 28, 2013 I told myself the mountain had become harder, but as I hauled myself over the rough, granite boulders, I exhaled heavily, accepting… Read More »Katahdin – A Hard but Beautiful Start | Average Hiker